Croatia – climate and energy statistics

Change in annual greenhouse gas emissions since 1990 (2006 figure, including land use change)

– 17.6%

(Excluding land use change, the change was – 5.2%.)

2005 per capita annual greenhouse gas emissions (excluding land use change)

6.9 tonnes

Balance of energy sources, 2007

Oil 50
Gas 29
Coal 7.5
Imported electricity 5
Hydro 3.5
Renewables 3.5

Energy security

Croatia has gas reserves, but these are running out. It has only limited coal reserves:

While Croatia produces 60 percent of its own gas needs, it imports the other 40 percent from Russia.

(See EUbusiness: Croatia cuts gas to major consumers as crisis continues.)

As the gas market develops, Croatia will rely more and more on gas imports, which means that all efforts shall be directed at the improvement of inter-and intraregional trade. New sources of supply and additional volumes of natural gas will be a priority at the turn of the century due to growing demand and lower production from indigenous reserves.

(See Gas Centre Database: Highlights.)

Croatia has limited amounts of petroleum and some bauxite.

(See EHow: List of European Natural Resources.)

Electricity generated/imported, 2007

Net imports 34
Hydro 24
Gas 16.5
Coal 13
Oil 12.5
Wind 0.2
Biomass 0.05

Installed wind capacity

2008 18Mw

Electricity – supply and demand

Croatia already imports a third of the electricity used, and this level of imports is likely to increase.

Fuels used for heat, 2007

Oil 22.5
Gas 77.5

Percentage of agriculture certified as organic


Cars per thousand of population



Leave a comment

(all comments are subject to moderation)

Comments are closed.