There are many studies where each student is asked what they expect from a teacher to classify him as good or not. The most repeated responses are a good sense of humor and consistency in their actions. In other words, everything related to the creation of very positive emotions within the classroom, and in this way being able to motivate and facilitate student learning. For example, a math tutor has to use all kinds of strategies so that her students can achieve the established objectives, in this way, teachers are going to play a relevant role in the formation of the student, both academic and personal. Therefore, we must continue to talk about how important it is to create a good classroom environment in terms of education, along with the need to turn knowledge into entertainment, which means that we will have to harmonize the rational brain with the emotional one.
Studies on the good teacher
One of the most famous studies that researchers have carried out consisted of the following: showing different short films that presented different teachers to a sample of students. The ultimate goal was for the students to evaluate the teachers with the observed images. After a few seconds, the students appreciated that these teachers resembled other people with whom they had had a class. This study showed that each of the students can know whether the teacher will be good for their learning, non-verbal communication is also very important or what is the most emotional part of the teacher. With all this, it should be borne in mind that a good teacher will show the best expectations to his students, this will help to achieve the objectives of that subject, this will be demonstrated with academic performance.
The example of a concrete study
Another study suggested that a sample of pre-university stage students were asked for their definition of a good teacher.
The answers given by the students led us to conclude that academic competence was an important factor, but not the only one, but that socio-emotional competencies had a rather striking role and that they should complement academic ones. A good example is an empathy for the student since they must understand the problems that adolescents have at these ages, along with other characteristics related to the person’s character, such as sympathy.
The truth is that the teacher has to take into account the opinion that students have. You should be able to adjust your learning methodologies to the particularities of the students in a classroom.
With these studies we can conclude that a good teacher must have the following characteristics:
- Know the subject and your reflection on it: the teacher must know well the subject that he is going to transmit to his students and know what content is important to them. All this will allow us to organize the classes as well as possible.
- Inspire: a good teacher has to transmit the passion for his work, in this way he will foster meaningful learning.
- Give autonomy: promote autonomy in students by involving them throughout the process.
- Propose age-appropriate challenges for your students: discover and stimulate the strengths that your students have to learn with the best means.
- Encourage creativity: it is very important to take into account critical and creative thinking.
- Accept error: error is always part of the teaching-learning process and must be accepted naturally.
- Concern for students: it is important to praise the effort and achievements made by the student himself. In addition to worrying about their problems in the classroom.